BRIEF CRITIQUE ON THE GOSPEL OF THOMAS
By Damon L. Wilkewitz
Work By Satan:
We had a wedding in our church a couple of years ago. During the reception the father of one of my best friends from high school approached and began talking to me. I hadnt seen him for years. He asked if I had ever heard about the Gospel of Thomas and the gospel of Mary, and other important historical writings that have been discovered. I told him that I believed that God gave me 66 books in the King James Bible and there was no need to read anything else. After seeing that I was not interested, he left immediately.
I was talking with his pastor a few months ago, and he told me that this man was skipping church and staying at home on the internet all day to read these documents. His pastor did not tell the mans name but was asking me to pray for this man. When I guessed the mans name his pastor looked shocked, but I told him how I had talked with him at a wedding reception. Later, this man sent an e-mail to our office to one of our employees. When I clicked on the web site link on this e-mail I was shocked at what I read. The e-mail address is as follows:
The Word of God gives us warnings about those who turn from sound doctrine to apostasy. 1 Tim 4:1 reads: Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; (also read 1 Timothy 1:4-7 and 2 Timothy 4:1-5).
Here are some good reasons to reject the Gospel of Thomas:
1. Where it was found. The texts used to put together the King James Version of the bible are called Syrian-Byzantine texts. Antioch is in Syria, and Christians were first called Christians in Antioch (Acts 11:26). However, all of the other perversions of the bible (such as the NIV, NRSV, NASV, etc.) come from manuscripts that originate in Egypt. Nothing good ever originated out of Egypt in the Word of God. Who would go there to look for manuscripts that would be worth anything? The Gospel of Thomas web site on the FAQ page states: Portions of three Greek copies of Thomas were found in Oxyrhynchus Egypt about one hundred years ago.
2. What it says goes against Gods TRUE Word. Consider the following verses from the Gospel of Thomas manuscripts:
His disciples said, On what day will you be revealed to us and on what day will we see you? Jesus said, When you undress without being ashamed, and put them under your feet as little children and tramp on them, then you will see the Son of the Living (One) and you will not fear. Mary said to Jesus, Whom are your disciples like? He said, They are like little children; they settle themselves in a field that is not theirs. When the owners of the field come, they say Give us our field. They undress before them and release it...
The explanation given for these verses is that when one is saved, you are a new Adam and therefore will not be ashamed to be naked like conditions were in the garden of Eden. What falsehood! Even after a person gets saved through the blood of Jesus Christ we still have to deal with this sinful body of flesh. Paul talked about that war in his members. The bible also states that we are waiting for the redemption of the purchased possession (our body). Until then, we have to dwell in this sinful body that gives us fits. Mainly however, consider what the bible says about being naked: Exodus 28:42 And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even to the thighs they shall reach; READ LEVITICUS 18:10-17 AND EXODUS 20:26
In fact, when God judges a nation, He likens it to exposing their nakedness and their shame (Nahum 3:5).
It is a wicked thing to imagine our HOLY Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, telling us that unless we can take off our clothes without being ashamed we wont see the Holy One!! The gospel of Thomas message is no different than the events we are seeing taking place at the Brownsville Revival. Stories Ive read from Brownsville and the gospel of Thomas both give the message that taking off your clothes is related to getting clean in Gods sight. What nonsense! The Thomas web page also states that As we have seen, in two logia [manuscripts] Thomas refers to disrobing in the context of becoming children. The opposites which are reunited are, in part, considered to be sexual.... In my opinion, this whole thing sounds like perverted nonsense!!
One of the next falsehoods about the Thomas manuscripts is that there is hardly a reference to Jesus Christ, only he or some inner-power. Lets look at these Thomas quotes: When you beget what is in you, him whom you have, he will save you. If you do not have him in you, he whom you do not have in you will kill you. -Im glad my bible plainly says but he that believeth not is condemned already... (John 3:18)
Note: This next Thomas quote promotes the worship of the Anti-Christ... (also notice the way this verse confines everything to a big GREY AREA. If you will notice, one of the devils tactics is to make men into women and women into men. Nowadays you cant hardly tell a lot of men from women and women from men. God sets bounds for his people (Ex. 19:12 Duet.32:8) and the devil wants to remove the bounds from the people (Isaiah 10:13)).
Jesus saw children being suckled. He said to his disciples, These children who are being suckled are like those who enter the kingdom. They said to him, We are children, shall we enter the Kingdom? Jesus said to them, When you make the inner as the outer and the outer as the inner and the upper as the lower, so that you will make the male and the female into a single one, so that the male will not be male and the female (not) be female, when you make...an IMAGE IN THE PLACE OF AN IMAGE, THEN YOU SHALL ENTER [THE KINGDOM].
In Daniel Chapter 3, look at verses 1,2,3,5,7,10,12,14,15, and 17. In all of these verses, Shadrach and his friends were supposed to bow down to AN IMAGE. I dont think the Lord Jesus Christ would ever want us to put an IMAGE in place of an IMAGE. The bible speaks against those that worship the Creature more than the Creator. In addition, men should be men and women should be women, not some neutered non-gender mess!
3. Who wrote it. On the Thomas FAQ page, here is their comments as to who the author of the Thomas manuscripts was: The name of the person who supposedly wrote the Gospel of Thomas is given in the first lines of the text as didymos Judas thomas..... The individuals name was Judas, and his nickname the twin is given in two languages. The bottom line is that we do not know who wrote the Gospel of Thomas and we cannot be sure which Judas in the New Testament also was nicknamed Thomas. My comment would be, I know of a Judas in the bible who was a DEVIL!!
4. What they say Thomas teaches. They say that Thomas urges people to return to the perfect Kingdom conditions of Genesis chapter one. To which I say, there is no way to have such conditions until AFTER we get taken out in the rapture, AFTER the 7 year tribulation, AND THEN when we come back with Jesus Christ when he sets up his kingdom.
5. They admit that it is not trustworthy. On the FAQ page in dealing with how many sayings is Thomas come from Jesus, they make the following statement: Perhaps Thomas point of view derives from Jesus himself, OR, PERHAPS, NOT.